Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Reservation issues

This piece (from Nanopolitan ) hit me like hell !!! I never thought along these lines before..!!! Some of the television anchors have started off on `preserving the brand equity of the IITs' angle. This is an argument that I always find infuriating. All these decades, while the government went about funding the IITs and the IITs went about their business, nobody took any major notice of the IITs. Suddenly, in the era of L-P-G (liberalization, privatization, globalization), when it is established that here is a GOVERNMENT institution that did exceedingly well (for whatever reason), the private sector boys would like to claim it as their own. The brand equity argument is one way to do it, denying the public institutional character of the IITs etc., treating them as if they were some private sector enterprise, that set about achieving some corporate mission. None of them would ever have had the patience for anything like the IITs or the IIMs. In the case of the IIMs, matters have been pushed to a point, that their corporate interests on their boards, is virtually trying to takeover these institutions and subvert their public character. True... I didn't realise this because I was on this side .. I feel like I have been enlightened or something !! But does that mean IIT's give up what they have been and behaving like other PSU's ??? A debatable point.. but certainly not by me !!!!! I am not talking on this.. as long as I don't get a concrete idea as to how people are suffering under discrimination...How many people are affected by this ?? and it's effect..!! If my own friends (Aswin and Kmap ) can't stand what I have been blabbering all along (more due to wrong choice of words though), I wonder how would I have escaped hurting others.

1 comment:

Aswin said...

Man,I am blessed. U finally saw the sense in our arguments! Give urself a pat. Most often, it is near impossible to even start arguing with the anit-reservation crowd.